Alliance Activities : Market Research Reports : Smart Cards & Smart Card ICs - Americas - 2010
Smart Cards & Smart Card ICs–Americas–2010
(Created Exclusively for the Smart Card Alliance)
Published: 25 May 2010
1-5 User License: £2350 / $4000 / €2940
Regional License: £2940 / $5000 / €2940
From relatively humble beginnings, it has taken 25 years for the smart card installed base to approach the level where, on average, everyone has at least one. By the end of 2009 the installed base is estimated to have passed the 8 billion, more than the number of people on the planet.
This report expands on previous editions by incorporating new forecasts and additional data segmentations to provide unparalleled coverage. It draws on in-depth interviews with major smart card manufacturers, smart card system suppliers, and semiconductor suppliers to the smart card industry.
Some of the key findings are:
- In 2009, the Americas smart card installed base is estimated to have increased by 16.4%.
- Between them, SIM cards, health & governmental and payment & banking accounted for 83.3% of the total smart card installed base at the end of 2009.
- Within the payment & banking sector, speed of transaction and convenience are two of the main drivers for the deployment of contactless cards.
- Within the health & governmental sector, large nationwide schemes often require strong central direction and consistent long-term political support, which may not be forthcoming.
- In terms of shipments, the total market for smart cards is projected to grow to 1.2 billion in 2014.
Features of the report include:
- Up-to-date estimates of the smart card installed base for 2008 and 2009 with forecasts to 2014. Detailed forecast unit shipment volumes to 2014.
- It contains detailed breakdowns by product type, end-user sector and geographic region for smart cards and smart card ICs.
- It also identifies key trends and opportunities in fast developing sectors such as payment & banking and ID.
- Key market breakdowns segmented by: smart card type; user sector; memory requirement; core bit-width; card type; and geographic region.
- Market share estimates for leading vendors in terms of total unit shipments, with additional splits by memory and microcontroller card types.
- Market share estimates for 1H2009 for SIM cards, payment & banking and e-ID.